Steve Bruce calls for ‘clarity’ over his Newcastle future after defeat to Spurs left fans calling for his sacking with new Saudi-led owners expected to swing the axe… but vows to fight on in the job at St James’ Park
- Newcastle boss Steve Bruce wants ‘clarity’ on his future amid calls for his axing
- His side were beaten 3-2 by Tottenham on Sunday to continue their winless start
- Bruce vowed to fight on in role but said he would wait for the owners to act
Steve Bruce has called for clarity on his future after admitting Newcastle United are in a relegation battle following their 3-2 defeat by Spurs.
On a day that was supposed to be a celebration of the club’s new Saudi-led ownership, it ended with supporters turning on the head coach and again calling for him to go.
It had been expected that Amanda Staveley and her consortium would sack Bruce before this game, and we understand he will be replaced in the near future.
Steve Bruce wants more clarity on his Newcastle with the coach expected to be sacked soon
And Bruce said: ‘Every football club needs clarity, from the top right the way through. The new owners have been very respectful.
‘My future is for other people to decide. I will carry on as best I can until I hear otherwise. I will see what they have to say.’
Newcastle are second bottom and three points from safety after eight matches without victory. And Bruce conceded: ‘Of course, if you’re in the bottom half you are in a relegation battle.
‘But have we not been in that for five of the last six years? I would think so. We’ve been up against it since I picked up the reins. I’m still convinced it is a relegation battle we will win.’
His side were beaten 3-2 by Tottenham on Sunday to continue their winless start to the season
Bruce was reflecting on the game in a TV interview when a home supporter heckled him. ‘Excuse the idiot,’ he said.
But, of a match in which his side had led through Callum Wilson after 108 seconds, he added: ‘It’s pretty obvious we haven’t defended well enough after a great start. We’ve done that too often for my liking.
‘Spurs scored with their first attack and scored with their second. In trying to be on the front foot we are not defending well enough.’
The veteran boss – who managed his 1,000 game at St James’ Park – admitted his side were in a relegation dogfight
Meanwhile, the game was stopped at the end of the first half and the players returned to the dressing-rooms after a supporter suffered a suspected cardiac arrest in the East Stand.
Players from both sides had rushed towards the dugout urging medical staff to attend when it became apparent there was an issue. The news last night was that the man was stable and responsive in hospital.
And Bruce said: ‘I have to say well done to supporters straight away. They made it obvious something was happening and alerted the players.
‘We had a defibrillator over that side of the ground which has saved man’s life, from what we’re hearing. It’s terrific that we have those people who were able to save his life.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article