European Super League clubs are ‘at WAR with each other’ as Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus ‘threaten the rest of the founding members with severe legal and financial consequences’ if they sign UEFA’s letter to withdraw from the project
- Eight of the 12 Super League founders have agreed to renounce the project
- UEFA told clubs they need to sign a letter confirming intention to withdraw
- Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus are however refusing to let the project die
- They have reportedly threatened clubs who sign UEFA’s letter with legal action
The European Super League clubs are reportedly at war with one another just weeks after the breakaway plans collapsed with Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus now threatening legal action against the clubs preparing to withdraw from the project.
The three European giants are refusing to let the plans die despite the footballing world making their disapproval clear, and have warned their former partners they will extract millions of dollars in penalties if they walk away from the league.
European football’s governing body, UEFA, are demanding that the league’s founding clubs sign a letter renouncing the project and recommitting themselves to Europe’s existing system, with eight clubs already agreeing to do so.
Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus are refusing to let the European Super League plans die
Furious Man United fans have been protesting against their owners after their involvement in it
However, the New York Times report that Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus – three of the 12 Super League founders – have warned of severe legal and financial consequences if other founding clubs break the commitments they made when they signed up.
The Super League was met with fierce criticism when it was first announced last month, with the plans collapsing within 48 hours due to the significant backlash it received and widespread protests from fans.
The clubs who were part of the breakaway, which could have devastated the value of leagues and clubs across Europe, were condemned by UEFA and threatened with expulsion from their competitions.
UEFA have since said clubs who agree to distance themselves from the league will be treated more kindly while those who refuse to back down could be hit with a punishment as severe as a two-year Champions League ban.
Eight clubs have agreed to sign a letter confirming their intention to withdraw from the Super League after UEFA warned they could be hit with a two-year Champions League suspension
The Super League collapsed after fans of the founding clubs staged protests last month
In their letter, sent on Thursday, the three clubs accused the teams that have publicly declared their intention to abandon the League of committing a ‘material breach’ of the founders agreement.
Eight teams have already informed UEFA they were committed to ditching the plans for a European Super League while the ninth, AC Milan, are said to be on the verge of reaching the same decision.
Manchester City were the first to announce their intentions to withdraw, which sparked the five other Premier League clubs involved to follow suit while some club owners issued apologies for backing the plans.
Barcelona are one of three clubs threatening other founding teams with legal action if they try to pull out of the project
Despite the Super League’s seemingly imminent demise, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, who was a major driving force behind the breakaway proposals, and Juventus chief Andrea Agnelli are still refusing to formally distance themselves from the scheme.
UEFA are keen for all 12 clubs to reach an agreement so the whole debacle can be laid to rest. However, according to the Super League contract, the withdrawal of nine clubs is enough to force the entity to be liquidated.
The 12 Super League clubs have not yet received punishment for attempting to breakaway but are expected to be hit with financial penalties as opposed to sporting sanctions in the coming months.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article