Tottenham 'to sign sponsorship with South Africa's tourist board'
Tottenham ‘are set to sign a three-year sponsorship with South Africa’s tourist board worth £42.5m – causing public OUTRAGE in the country’… as opposing political party brands the deal a ‘slap in the face’ for tax-payers
- Leaked documents from a leading South African outlet revealed the agreement
- It is believed the deal is worth £42.5m – the amount Spurs paid for Pedro Porro
- South African Tourism’s CEO says the deal has been given conditional approval
Tottenham are set to sign a £42.5million sponsorship deal with the South African government, whose tourism board plans to attract more visitors to the country by forging a relationship with the Premier League club, according to reports.
Leaked documents obtained by South African newspaper Daily Maverick earlier this week revealed that Spurs were planning to ink a three-year sponsorship starting from next season.
News of the deal, which has reportedly been in the works for six years, has sparked widespread controversy within the South African sports community, who feel the sizeable amount would be better spent locally.
If the figure stated by the Daily Maverick is correct, Tottenham’s £42m investment in deadline day signing Pedro Porro would be entirely repaid by the sponsorship.
The north London club have yet to comment on the reported deal.
Tottenham ‘are set to sign a £42.5million sponsorship deal with the South African government’
South African Tourism CEO Themba Khumalo said that the deal was given conditional approval
Themba Khumalo, South African Tourism’s acting chief executive officer, confirmed on Thursday that the deal had been given conditional approval – but was unable to reveal any figures linked to the sponsorship.
‘The board made a conditional approval because it commercially makes sense, but it needs communication with the stakeholders to make sure they’re aligned,’ he said, according to South African media outlet news24.
‘The stakeholders were not engaged because we were going to do so before the leak came out.
‘We believe in the engagement, but there isn’t a signed contract with the entity. There was a conversation that led to the conditional approval.
‘There’s no signed contract, but there is an intention to. We need to do due diligence and follow government processes.
‘We had to halt this conversation to have this conversation, so once we complete this one, we’ll look forward. The other teams had tourism partners and Spurs didn’t have one. We looked at every team in that tier.’
After South Africa’s media leaked the proposal, public outrage has swept the country, with Brand Africa chairman Thebe Ikalafeng labelling the deal an ‘irresponsible use of tax’.
Describing it as a ‘vanity investment’, Ikalafeng urged that the money should instead be put towards ‘safety for travellers, lights and maintenance’.
Political party Democratic Alliance said: ‘(The proposal is) a slap in the face of every South African whose hard-earned tax will be used to sponsor a first-world football team. (It is) an insult for the South African tourism and travel sector which was decimated, and in many cases completely destroyed, during and post Covid.’
Spurs, who will be without manager Antonio Conte this weekend after the Italian underwent surgery for cholecystitis on Wednesday, face off against Manchester City in London on Sunday.
The alleged £42.5m deal would pay back the fee Tottenham splurged on full-back Pedro Porro
Spurs will be without Antonio Conte on the touchline for Sunday’s clash with Manchester City
Source: Read Full Article