Race-by-race preview and tips for Sunday meeting at Wellington
Selections based on a good to soft track.
Race 1 – 12:55pm: WELLINGTON HARDWARE HOME & RURAL MAIDEN (1000 METRES)
5. Fruit Tingle has some race experience from a spring prep and did look to be travelling well in a close second in a trial at Wyong a month ago. If she can hold a forward spot she’s a good chance.
Racing heads to Wellington on Sunday.Credit:Jenny Evans
Dangers: 9. Zhi was the winner of the Wyong trial then went around in another at Newcastle running third on a heavy track. Was scratched from Wyong on Saturday to run here and is the logical danger. 1. Giddy Up Gidleigh has had a few chances and was well-supported when fourth at Canberra first-up. Will be fitter for that but coming back 200m is the query. Can’t leave out though. 6. March Eight hasn’t shown a lot in two starts at the provincials or in her recent trial for that matter but in top stable and it wouldn’t surprise to see her be competitive in this company.
How to play it: Fruit Tingle WIN. Quinella 5 & 9. Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Race 2 – 1:30pm: SIMMO SIGNS BM58 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1700 METRES)
4. Sir Finn was particularly strong winning in this grade at Moruya a few weeks ago from just off the pace. Drawn to be handy and has been consistent at this level of late Sure to run well again.
Dangers: 2. Dreamdeel broke through for an all-the-way win at Gosford over a mile, clearly appreciating the step-up in distance. Has the chance to land on the speed again and could take catching around this course. 5. Forever Jude has been thereabouts without winning and did get very close at Tamworth over 1600m a few weeks ago. Will be running on. 6. Avalicious found the lead at Coonamble and held on for a popular win in this class two weeks ago. Will likely be forward again from the wide gate and has a case if she can get across them.
How to play it: Sir Finn WIN. Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Race 3 – 2:05pm: LSS LOCKSMITH & SECURITY SOLUTIONS MAIDEN PLATE (1400 METRES)
10. Poppy’s Girl is bursting to win one and has a good chance here after three seconds on end for the new stable. Did have her chance at Orange but was back in distance and from gate one here should be right on their hammer. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. Section Twenty gave a big sight in front at Muswellbrook last time before being picked up by a short-priced favourite. That was his best run to date and if he can repeat the effort he can take catching. 12. Sunyani is a big watch on debut for the Brett Cavanough stable. Only trialled once and certainly wasn’t exposed so from the handy gate she could show up. Check betting. 2. Suomenlinna is a 27-start maiden but is rarely far away from the placings. Boxed on for fourth in the same race as Poppy’s Girl last time and has place claims again.
How to play it: Poppy’s Girl WIN; Trifecta 10/2,3,12/2,3,12. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 4 – 2:40pm: KFC ZINGER BENCHMARK 66 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (900 METRES)
12. So Extra is a speedy mare coming through the grades well. She’s been too quick in her last couple and from gate one she’ll look to burn them off early. If she finds the front she’ll be hard to run down.
Dangers: 9. Polylithic will be fitter for a solid second behind Talbragar at Tamworth over the 1000m. He’s also a horse with good pace and will be in this for a long way. 5. Private Agent probably hasn’t drawn to suit, but he is a big watch first-up for Brett Robb. Keep him safe and watch for him next time with a more suitable set-up. 2. Barney Rabble has won two of his last three at 1000m and was far too good at Grafton a few weeks ago. One of the chances.
How to play it: So Extra E/W. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 5 – 3:20pm: FEDERAL HOTEL WELLINGTON CLASS 1 (1100 METRES)
5. Chiky Chiky Mama has missed a place just once to date and she took plenty of catching when third at Tamworth a month ago. She’ll look to lead from the inside and only has to hold form to be in the finish.
Dangers: 7. Rubi Air is another honest mare and she’s been placed in her past couple at Bathurst last month. Will land in the first four or so here and is one of the main chances. 8. In The Air Tonight was spelled after scoring a popular maiden win at Narromine back in November. Recent trial win was a very easy one so commands some respect up in class. 1. Destiny’s Bounty is ex-John O’Shea and hasn’t trialled publicly leading into this so is a big query. Blinkers on is a sign of intent and drawn well so any support would say he’s there to be very competitive.
How to play it: Chiky Chiky Mama WIN; Trifecta 5/1,7,8/1,7,8. Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Race 6 – 4:05pm: KEIRLE’S PHARMACY WELLINGTON SHOWCASE CUP (1700 METRES)
2. High Court was excellent at Randwick two starts back then a month between runs and ran a huge race for second at Eagle Farm after making a mid-race dash. Can land closer to the speed here and isn’t far off a win.
Dangers: 1. For Valour is the logical horse to beat and will likely lead them up. Run down by Caesars Palace at Canberra last time, led all the way at Canterbury prior. Has the 63kg but earned it and is the benchmark. 6. Sea Of Flames is racing well and while no match for the winner at Orange last time kept to the task well to run second. Drops 7kg and that gives him a chance. 4. Island Press might be looking for more ground now after contesting the Country Championships series where he’s run well without threatening. Each-way claims.
How to play it: High Court E/W. Odds & Evens: SPLIT
Race 7 – 4:45pm: OVER THE LINE RACING WELLINGTON BOOT SHOWCASE (1100 METRES)
7. Storm The Ramparts has been competitive with thirds in all three starts in good maiden company. Loomed to win last time at Kensington and it appears the extra 100m will be a plus. Go well.
Dangers: 12. Gold Lover led and tried hard when runner-up to Stanislaus at Hawkesbury before being run down by Captain Amelia at Kensington. Will put herself on speed here and has to be considered. 16. Mostro has trialled okay in Sydney winning one in February and a close fourth in his latest a few weeks ago. Have to respect the stable though will need luck from the gate. 5. Quasimoto has the blinkers on and is fresh since a handy third at Doomben two months ago. Form around some smart youngsters so must be respected.
How to play it: Storm The Ramparts WIN; Trifecta 7/5,12,16/5,12,16. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 8 – 5:29pm: WELLINGTON SOLDIERS CLUB WELLINGTON TOWN PLATE (1100 METRES)
5. Beauchamp hasn’t raced since July and no public trials so is a real market watch, but he looks to get a nice run behind what should be a solid tempo. Drops 11kg on that last run and is a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 1. Washington Towers is a speedy type on his day but took a trail at Canberra before hitting the lead and then being run down on the line. Should be competitive in this field. 4. Moetta was too bad to be true when weakening out to last at Wyong a month ago. Form before that was honest and she’s speedy. Worth another chance. 6. Gorush Lightning is back to his best with a win at Moruya a few weeks ago and will drop 7kg into this race. Has placed at this track before and has each-way claims.
How to play it: Beauchamp E/W. Odds & Evens: ODDS
Supplied by Racing NSW
Full form and race replays available at racingnsw.com.au
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.
Most Viewed in Sport
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article