Uncapped Aussie prodigy to the rescue

Australia’s Test side is in desperate need of batting reinforcements, and the team’s prayers could be answered ahead of the New Year’s match against India.

As first revealed by Fox Sports reporter Tom Morris, Victorian batsman Will Pucovski is expected to be available for the third Test of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

Pucovski suffered a concussion after he was struck in the head by a bouncer during the Australia A tour match against India A at Drummoyne Oval earlier this month.

It was the 22-year-old ninth reported concussion in six years.

Watch Australia v India Test Series Live & Ad-Break Free During Play with the Fox Cricket commentary team. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >

But Pucovski has reportedly recovered from the lingering symptoms, and will be available for selection if he gets the green light from his neurologist.

Will Pucovski of Australia A.Source:Getty Images

LIVE BLOG: Australia vs India second Test

“He’s going to play in this third Test, or at least be available for it,” Morris told Fox Cricket on Tuesday morning.

“My understanding is that only formalities need to be ticked off for him to be cleared medically to play.

“From a health perspective, he’ll be ok to play.”

According to The Daily Telegraph’s Ben Horne, national selectors held an emergency meeting on Tuesday morning to discuss the fitness of David Warner and Pucovski.

The selection panel would be tempted to give Pucovski a Test debut at the New Year’s Test at the expense of struggling opening batsman Joe Burns.

However, Pucovski would have to isolate for three days before entering the Australian Test squad bubble.

Meanwhile, uncertainty remains over whether Warner will be available for the third Test as he recovers from a groin injury sustained during the one-day series against India.

Pucovski made headlines last month after plundering consecutive double-centuries for Victoria in the Sheffield Shield.

Australia’s Will Pucovski in the field.Source:News Corp Australia

Following his scary head knock in Drummoyne, Sydney Thunder captain Callum Ferguson said he was “staggered” the uncapped prodigy has not already been ruled out of the entire four-Test series.

“I can’t see them playing Pucovski. To be honest, I’m staggered we’re still talking about it,” Ferguson told ABC Grandstand last week.

“He’s had so many hard hits to the head.

“Glancing blows have been seeing him leave the field in the last two to three years where other players would have just taken the helmet off, looked at it and gone, ‘Yeah nah, that’s fine’, and then put it back on and kept batting.

“I can’t believe we’re talking about bringing a young lad, who’s 22, back into a Test side to face this Indian attack.”

Australian great Shane Warne echoed Ferguson’s comments on Fox Cricket.

“I really worry about Pucovski,” Warne said on Tuesday afternoon. “I’m just worried about his wellbeing.

“I want to see him maybe play some cricket before he gets backs into the international cricket.”

The third Test between Australia and India will commence on Thursday, January 7th.

Source: Read Full Article