Everton agree £30m kit deal with Danish firm Hummel

Everton agree club record £30m, three-year kit deal with Danish firm Hummel to start next season as contract with Umbro ends

  • Goodison Park club will have their kit supplied by Hummel from next season
  • They have agreed a £30million deal with the Danish firm over next three years
  • Umbro had been supplying the Toffees kit and paying £4.5m a season 
  • Everton will still play in Umbro strip if the current season is able to resume 

Everton have agreed a club record kit deal with Danish sports firm Hummel that will be worth £30million over the next three years.

The Goodison Park club have had a long-standing association with Umbro, who had been paying £4.5million a season to provide their kits, but they had negotiated a break deal in the contract they signed 12 months ago.

Everton took the opportunity to exercise the clause and have come to an agreement with Hummel – who are also the providers of Glasgow Rangers’ kits – that will begin at the start of the 2020-21 campaign. As yet, no designs have been published.

Everton have announced a £30million kit deal with the Danish supplier Hummel 

Everton have been playing in Umbro kits since 2014 but are due to switch their supplier

It will be a completely new look for Everton next season, as they are on the hunt for a main sponsor having cut ties with betting firm SportsPesa in March; club sources say the coronavirus crisis has not disrupted their ambition to find a partner and discussions with interested parties remain ongoing.

When football resumes, however, Umbro and SportPesa’s names will appear on Everton’s current jersey as the club intends to honour the agreements that are already in place with those companies for the final nine games.

The squad began the process of preparing for those fixtures on Wednesday when small groups of players returned to Finch Farm for group training.

‘It is really important that we drive maximum value from our commercial deals and this is a Club-record deal for a technical partnership for Everton,’ said Denise Barret-Baxendale, the chief executive. 

Everton, like the rest of the Premier League, are waiting to see if the season can resume

Scottish Premiership side Rangers are kitted out by Danish firm Hummel this season

‘It is also important we work with brands that share our ambition.

‘We have all been impressed with Hummel’s originality, commitment to quality and vision to challenge expectations. We look forward to working with them to deliver our players and supporters an exciting range of products over the coming years.’

Hummel chief executive Alan Vad Nielsen said: ‘The timing is also perfect as it is the 50th anniversary of Club legend Alan Ball introducing hummel to the UK market with his legendary white boots.

‘Everton enjoys a massive following both domestically and globally, providing a fantastic engagement platform and positive outlook going forward. We have great faith in Everton’s future plans.’




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article

Formula 1: Deal reached to hold British Grand Prix but quarantine questions remain

Formula 1 and Silverstone have agreed a deal for two grands prix to be held at the British track this season.

Owners the British Racing Drivers’ Club and F1 had been far apart in their assessments of the fee for the track to host the behind-closed-doors events.

But a compromise agreement has now been reached after negotiations this week.

However, a new threat to the races has emerged in the UK government’s plans to impose a two-week quarantine for all international arrivals.

  • Vettel to leave Ferrari at end of season
  • Could Vettel’s Ferrari frustration lead to retirement from F1?

Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle told BBC Sport: “I am delighted to confirm that Silverstone and Formula 1 have reached an agreement in principle to host two races behind closed doors this summer.

“However, these races will be subject to government approval, as our priority is the safety of all involved and strict compliance with Covid-19 regulations.

“I would like to thank all our fans who have been so supportive throughout this and to assure them we are determined to do all we can to help Formula 1 put on a show this summer.”

An F1 spokesman said: “We are continuing to have conversations with Silverstone and other promoters regarding a revised 2020 calendar.”

  • Coronavirus’ impact on sport – timeline

Quarantine rules complicate matters

F1 is trying to secure an exemption for its staff from a new rule that international travellers must go into a 14-day self-isolation period upon returning to the UK.

The government has not defined when that will come into force, saying only that it will be “soon”, but if it is imposed without exemptions it threatens the return of all elite international sport this summer.

The issue for F1 is that seven of the 10 teams have bases in the UK. And beyond the problems of staff travelling internationally from race to race, the cars have to return to their factories periodically in between races, especially if they are involved in accidents.

To work around a two-week enforced quarantine period would mean that any races at Silverstone would have to take place with that period on either side.

That is problematic for F1 as the sport seeks to achieve its aim to hold a World Championship with between 15 and 18 races, starting with two races on consecutive weekends in Austria on 5 and 12 July.

Under current plans, the races at the Red Bull Ring would be followed by two events at Silverstone, if F1 can find a way around the quarantine restrictions.

Earlier this week, the chances of British races had receded when it emerged that Silverstone had been asking for £15m to host the two events – the same amount as it would have paid for its fee to host the race under normal conditions.

F1 had waived the fee because it was asking Silverstone to host races without fans, and had offered to ensure that the track was not out of pocket.

A number of British-based teams had been in touch with F1 to express their concerns about developments, feeling that Silverstone was being unreasonable.

But the financial impediments to the races taking place have now been removed.

Belgium approves race plan

Meanwhile, the Belgian government has given the go-ahead for its grand prix to be held behind closed doors at Spa-Francorchamps on its original date of 30 August.

A deal has not yet been struck with F1, but Spa general manager Vanessa Maes told Belgian media she expected this to happen in the coming days.

Belgium is one of the countries at which F1 hopes to hold the second tranche of European races, after Austria and the UK.

Among the other events in the mix are the tracks originally intended to hold races this year in Spain, Hungary, France and Italy.

Hockenheim in Germany, which was not on the original schedule, is on standby in case there is a vacant slot that other tracks cannot fill.

Cost cap talks ongoing

F1’s governing body, the FIA, has delayed a vote on proposals to reduce the cost cap being imposed next year until next week.

Teams had been due to meet on Friday and vote on a proposal to lower the level of $175m (£137.9m) enshrined in the rules to $145m, and then lowering again to $140m in 2022 and $135m for the period 2023 to 2025.

Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto, who had been against lowering the cap below $150m, said on Thursday that the teams had all agreed on the $145m.

But the FIA has decided to wait until next week while finishing touches are made to the proposal, with the hope of a vote by teams early next week and formal approval by the FIA’s world motorsport council later in the week.

Source: Read Full Article

Nigel Pearson strikes a deal to stay on as Watford manager

Nigel Pearson strikes a deal to stay on as Watford manager beyond his contract until the end of the season

  • Nigel Pearson will stay on as Watford manager until the end of this season
  • His previous short-term contract was due to expire at the end of May
  • Pearson has transformed Watford, although they are still in a relegation battle 

Nigel Pearson has struck an agreement with Watford to stay in charge at least until the end of a season which is now set to stretch beyond his short-term contract.

Pearson signed a deal until the end of May when he was appointed in December with the team stranded at the bottom of the Premier League having won only once in 15 games.

Under his control, Watford have been transformed, winning five times and becoming the first side this season to beat champions-elect Liverpool in the Premier League.

Nigel Pearson has agreed to stay on as Watford manager until the end of the current season

Pearson’s short-term contract signed in December was due to expire at the end of May

They had climbed to 17th by the time football was suspended for the coronavirus outbreak, just outside the relegation zone on goal difference although still very much locked in a fight to survive with nine fixtures remaining.

Pearson, 56, has proved popular with the players and fans at Vicarage Road and, back in the top flight for the first time since he left Leicester in 2015, has re-established his own credentials at the top level.

He enjoys a good working relationship with owner Gino Pozzo and the board and there is an option built into his original deal to extend his contract for another season if both parties agree.

This is not expected to be considered, however, until Watford are sure which division they will be in next season. If they are relegated Pearson may find other clubs try to lure him away. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article

Bayern 'agree deal with Arsenal and Man Utd target Dayot Upamecano'

Bayern Munich ‘agree deal with Red Bull Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano’ as highly-rated Arsenal and Manchester United target opts to stay in Germany

  • Dayot Upamecano has a buyout clause of £52million at Red Bull Leipzig 
  • The 21-year-old is reportedly being eyed up by Arsenal and Manchester United
  • However, a deal has been struck with Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich
  • The Frenchman has made 29 appearances for high-flying Leipzig this season 

Dayot Upamecano has rejected the chance to move to the Premier League with the Red Bull Leipzig defender reportedly agreeing a move to Bundesliga rivals Bayern Munich this summer. 

The French centre-back has a £52m buyout clause at Leipzig, who are keen to sell him this year as opposed to losing him for free upon the expiration of his contract next summer. 

Both Arsenal and Manchester United are keeping tabs on the defender but according to German outlet Bild, the Bundesliga champions have won the race for the 21-year-old’s signature. 

Dayot Upamecano will reportedly move from RB Leipzig to Bayern Munich this summer

The 21-year-old defender looks set to link up with Serge Gnabry (R) at the Allianz Arena 

The report details that a deal is agreed between the player and Bayern, though a set fee between the clubs is yet to be finalised. 

Due to the current coronavirus pandemic, Bayern are not yet willing to pay his £52m release clause, as they wait to see the financial effect the crisis has had on clubs.

Mikel Arteta is believed to be in the market for a centre back this summer, while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is also keeping an eye on Upamecano as a partner for captain Harry Maguire at Manchester United. 

The France Under-21 international has made 29 appearances – all of which were starts – for Leipzig this season. 

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta is eyeing up a centre back to shore up his defence this summer

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen for a new acquisition to partner Harry Maguire in defence 

He has played in six of Leipzig’s eight Champions League games including the last-16 second-leg victory against Tottenham Hotspur last month.   

Upamecano has played a key role in Leipzig’s high-flying season, with the side in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and five points off leaders Bayern in the German top-flight. 

The Frenchman signed for Leipzig from sister club RB Salzburg in the summer of 2017. 

Clubs in Germany have resumed training with the Bundesliga set to restart on May 9 behind closed doors. 

Arsenal, also, have resumed training as of Monday, but with strict coronavirus isolation rules still in place. 




Share this article


Source: Read Full Article