Mike Tyson shows off his hand speed and ripped physique in new video

Mike Tyson shows off his hand speed and ripped physique in new video as he gears up for a return to the ring aged 53… two days after 48-year-old Shannon Briggs claimed he’d agreed a fight with the heavyweight legend

  • Mike Tyson has been training hard ahead of a potential comeback fight this year
  • The 53-year-old legend showed off his speed and power in a new video for Weibo
  • Tyson shadow boxes shirtless and says he there’s a possibility he could return
  • Shannon Briggs has claimed that he has agreed a deal to take on Tyson next
  • The Baddest Man on the Planet had been expected to face Evander Holyfield 

Mike Tyson has given fans another glimpse of his trademark power and speed as he continues to work towards a sensational comeback fight.

The 53-year-old has been training hard ahead of a controversial return to the ring, with a trilogy fight against old foe Evander Holyfield seemingly on the cards.

But after Shannon Briggs claimed that he had agreed to take on Tyson ahead of Holyfield, the Baddest Man on the Planet posted an update to social media.  

Mike Tyson shows off his hand speed in a new video posted to Chinese social media site Weibo

The 53-year-old looked in good shape as he shadow boxed outside wearing just a pair of jeans

Tyson has been training hard ahead of a return to the ring. He hung up his gloves back in 2005

Launching his own page on Chinese microblogging site Weibo with a video, Tyson told fans that: ‘there’s a possibility I might come back’.

Wearing just a pair of jeans and no top, the American then proceeds to shadow box, showing off the speed which once made him the most feared man in boxing.

In the short clip, Tyson throws a series of jabs, hooks and uppercuts, teasing the sort of punches we could see again if a fight with Briggs is made official.

On Tuesday, the 48-year-old claimed that he had spoken directly with Tyson to agree a heavyweight showdown in the near future.

Tyson covers his face in the clip, which was used to launch the legend’s own Weibo channel

The veteran throws a series of upppercuts, demonstrating his trademark hand speed

Tyson continues to tease fans about a comeback and says there’s a ‘possibility’ he could return

He said: ‘I just talked to Mike Tyson, it’s going down, me and Mike, we’re going to make it happen, it’s official, you’re going to see it happen, Brownsville versus Brownsville.

‘Me and Tyson are going to lace up the gloves, we’re going to rumble, rumble in the jungle. We’re going to let our fist do the talking.’

He says the fight against Tyson will be an exhibition with the two KO artists going toe-to-toe.

Tyson is yet to comment on a fight with Briggs, but in the video he promises to ‘fight with the spirit of Mao’ – the founding father of the People’s Republic of China – if he does make a return to the ring.

At the end of the clip, the 53-year-old gives his dog a hug and a kiss after having his shadow boxing session interrupted.

Shannon Briggs has announced that he will be the man to face Tyson in his comeback fight

 The former world heavyweight champion was interrupted by his dog at the end of the video

Tyson smiles as he talks to his fans in China ahead of a potential return to the ring this year

Last weekend, Holyfield said his team were in talks with Tyson’s and he was confident over an agreement being reached, though no deal had been struck.

Tyson suffered back-to-back losses to Holyfield and infamously bit off part of his opponent’s ear during their second fight in 1997, leading to him being disqualified. 

Both men have recently posted workout videos showing off their physical prowess and Tyson has wowed fans with his famous power on the pads, though many from the boxing world are discouraging him from lacing his gloves up again over fears of serious injury.




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article

Ruthless RFU must act and hand grassroots clubs a lifeline

CHRIS FOY: Ruthless RFU must act and hand grassroots clubs a lifeline during the coronavirus crisis

  • The RFU must provide financial aid to clubs during the coronavirus crisis
  • Midlands 1 East club Peterborough found they would not receive funding
  • The RFU’s annual report said it wants to encourage rugby across England 

When the RFU released their annual report in December, the grand document contained an opening page which stated: ‘Our purpose: to encourage rugby, and its values, to flourish across England.’ 

At Peterborough Rugby Club, they now doubt the sincerity of that message. 

Last Thursday, hours after RFU chief executive Bill Sweeney had announced Eddie Jones’s contract as England head coach — worth £750,000 per year — would be extended until the conclusion of the 2023 World Cup, the Midlands 1 East club learned that they would not be entitled to any funding from Twickenham to alleviate the coronavirus shutdown. 

The RFU and Bill Sweeney must hand grassroots clubs a lifeline during the coronavirus crisis

An administrative oversight had already proved costly. Last summer, they were a day late submitting a declaration to the RFU that, as a level-six amateur club, they do not pay players. 

The deadline was strictly enforced and the union withheld funding for the 2019-20 season. 

Peterborough appealed in vain at a time they needed money to expand their clubhouse, to accommodate a thriving age grade set-up. Each weekend, they host up to 500 juniors. 

Now Peterborough have been stunned to discover their one-day delay is being held against them during this virus crisis. 

The union have said they won’t receive emergency funds, when they fear the loss of between £60,000 and £80,000 due to the cancellation of beer festivals, weddings, dinners, dog shows and other functions. 

Midlands 1 East club Peterborough learned they would not receive funding from Twickenham

This is another example of the governing body acting as a ruthless business, apparently more mindful of profit than the wellbeing of the sport around the country. 

Last autumn, clubs were told that funds would be available to promote the World Cup in their clubhouses, so Peterborough and others in their region made grand plans, only to discover the money being offered through the East Midlands RFU was just £50 each for 10 clubs. 

In their annual report, the RFU announced revenue of £213million for the 2018-19 financial year — a rise of 24 per cent and more than twice as much as the New Zealand Rugby Union. Yet there was a reduction in investment for rugby development, while spending on the men’s senior national team remains ‘ring-fenced’. 

Earlier this year, Sweeney announced savage cuts to funding for clubs in the RFU Championship. He was castigated by officials from those clubs for the cuts, the lack of warning and consultation, and a dearth of compassion. 

Clubs are seeking financial aid in the chaos caused by the deadly coronavirus pandemic

More recently, the RFU stayed silent as the pandemic took hold while their counterparts in Scotland and Wales promised vital bailout investment. When they eventually announced aid measures, the primary concern appeared to be future union losses rather than short-term hardship at grassroots level. 

This column has seen correspondence between officials within the club game expressing anger and dismay at the union. 

A former senior Twickenham figure wrote: ‘The RFU’s failure to announce immediate financial support to clubs is a disgrace and shows the RFU management board is incompetent and not fit for purpose. Clubs may well go under, never to be resurrected.’ 

There are rumblings that clubs will attempt to force a special general meeting, with a view to pushing for a vote of no confidence in the hierarchy. At a time when true leadership is needed, English rugby is lamenting the absence of it. 

Out in the shires, they want the RFU to be fit for their published purpose. That could mean relaxing regulations and red tape to help Peterborough and other clubs in need and the game at large. Count the costs some other time. 

Five key chances predicted for rugby 

Rugby management company Esportif have published their 2020 international rugby report, which contains fascinating data from the leading nations. It predicts five key changes in rugby by 2025. These include global calendar alignment (long craved but not realised), a British and Irish league — causing a reduction in European competition, and growth in the USA on the back of a successful bid to host the World Cup. 

The latter should come to pass as there is set to be a tournament in the Americas in 2027. A British and Irish league would have great appeal, but only if some continental competition was retained — and if steps were taken to avoid Italian professional rugby ceasing to exist.

Growth in the USA is one of a number of big changes predicted for rugby by 2025

The Last Word 

Finn Russell has been in regular contact with Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend, with a view to ending their feud and allowing the Racing 92 fly-half to return from Test exile. 

Reflecting on the dispute which saw Russell abruptly depart the Scottish camp, miss the Six Nations and reveal a strained relationship with Townsend, he told BT Sport: ‘Things got blown out of proportion. It’s not like there was a massive disagreement where I was saying, “I’ll never play for you again”. That’s the target we’ve both got; to be on the same page and working together — better than ever.’ 

Here’s hoping they resolve their differences. Whenever this shutdown ends, rugby needs all of its great entertainers to raise morale and reignite the sport. Russell is a fixture in that category. It is not just Scots who want to see him operating at the top level again as soon as possible. 

Here’s hoping Finn Russell can return from Test exile at the end of the coronavirus crisis




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article