Arsenal star reveals he wants 'dream' move to Boca Juniors

‘I have that desire to go’: Arsenal star Lucas Torreira reveals he wants ‘dream’ move to Argentine giants Boca Juniors well before he’s near to retiring

  • Lucas Torreira has revealed his dream would be to play for Boca Juniors
  • The Arsenal midfielder wants the move in good time before he retires 
  • The 24-year-old said: ‘I want to compete and feel what the Boca world is like’

Arsenal star Lucas Torreira has revealed his ambition to play for Argentine giants Boca Juniors in the near future.

The midfielder insisted he remains happy at Arsenal but wants to join Boca in good time before he retires.

The 24-year-old Uruguayan only joined the Gunners in a £26million to deal from Sampdoria in 2018.

Lucas Torreira has revealed his ambition to one day play for Argentina giants Boca Juniors

Speaking about a future move to Boca, Torreira told Fox Sports Argentina: ‘I imagine a Copa Libertadores night at the Bombonera wearing Boca’s shirt, of course.

‘Right now my head is in Europe and I want to stay for a while.

‘But I have that desire and dream to go [to Boca] – and not just to retire, but to compete and feel what the Boca world is.’

The Arsenal star insists he is happy at the club but wants to move to Boca well before he retires

Torreira revealed that watching the 2018 Copa Libertadores final between Boca and River Plate in Madrid only increased his desire to one day join the Argentine club.

He added: ‘My family are big soccer fans and we Uruguayans watch a lot of Argentine football.

‘It is one of the most important in South America, very passionate, so from a very young age this affection, this love for Boca was born.

‘I had to go to the Madrid final and when the game ended I thought I wasn’t going to be so mad but I was very sad, for the defeat and for how the game had been.

Torreira’s affection for Boca grew stronger after watching the 2018 Copa Libertadores final

‘It was the time I got to see Boca as a fan. It is true that I have great affection for the club and hopefully it will be forever.’

Torreira left South America as a teenager to join Italian club Pescara’s youth academy before moving to Sampdoria where he rose to prominence.

The Uruguay international has been in and out of Arsenal’s team since moving to England but Mikel Arteta will hope to have him available for their Premier League match with Manchester City on June 17.

Torreira has been out with an ankle injury but declared last week that he is now close to being back to full fitness after the coronavirus-enforced break gave him more time to recover.

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta will hope to have Torreira fit and available for Manchester City clash




Share this article


Source: Read Full Article

Chelsea star Rudiger tells Liverpool and United target Werner to join

How Chelsea plan to jump the queue for Timo Werner: Antonio Rudiger ‘is trying to convince £49m-rated former team-mate to come to London’ ahead of Liverpool and Manchester United with Frank Lampard ‘absolutely keen’

  • Timo Werner is thought to be keen on a move to Liverpool in the summer
  • But the Anfield side are not willing to meet the striker’s £49m release clause
  • Chelsea are now trying to steal a march, with Antonio Rudiger involved 

Antonio Rudiger is trying to convince Timo Werner to join Chelsea ahead of his other suitors, according to reports.

Werner is a target for a number of top Premier League sides after impressing for RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga this season, with the Blues, Liverpool and Manchester United all thought to be keen.

The German striker is believed to be desperate for a move to Liverpool and they were thought to be leading the chase to activate his £49million release clause.

Antonio Rudiger is trying to convince Timo Werner to join Chelsea ahead of his other suitors

The pair are thought to be friends and played together for Stuttgart earlier in their careers

But they have taken a step back and are now no longer willing to pay more than £30m for him due to the financial constraints caused by the coronavirus crisis.

Now Chelsea are launching a charm offensive courtesy of Rudiger, who played with Werner at Stuttgart.

According to German newspaper Bild, the pair are close friends and defender Rudiger is telling Werner to join him at Stamford Bridge.

They are also reporting that Frank Lampard has taken a keen interest in Werner for months.

Frank Lampard has taken a keen interest in Werner for months as he looks to improve his side

He wants to make him a central figure in his attack – and is known to be keen on improving his striking options in the upcoming transfer window. 

Werner has starred for Leipzig this season, hitting 31 goals in 40 appearances in all competitions for the Bundesliga side.

The 24-year-old has also broken into the senior Germany side in recent seasons, making his debut in 2017 and scoring 11 goals while collecting 29 caps in that time.

He played for Stuttgart between 2013 and 2016 before making his switch to Leipzig. 

Werner and Rudiger sharing a joke during a warm-up with the Germany squad  in 2017




Share this article


Source: Read Full Article

Sabres star Jack Eichel admits he’s frustrated with losing seasons

With the Buffalo Sabres’ playoff drought stretching into its ninth season, team captain Jack Eichel is making his frustrations clear.

Eichel, 23, has missed the playoffs in each of his five NHL seasons, beginning with his rookie year of 2015-16. The drought continues despite steady statistical improvement by the forward, who finished this season with 78 points (career-high 36 goals, 42 assists) in just 68 games.

In a conference call with reporters Wednesday, he made it clear that he is not happy with the team’s continued struggles. 

“Listen, I’m fed up with losing and I’m fed up and I’m frustrated,” he said. “It’s definitely not an easy pill to swallow right now. It’s been a tough couple of months, it’s been a tough five years with where things have went.”

The Sabres thought that Eichel would help turn their fortunes around when they selected him second overall in the 2015 NHL Draft. Their current playoff drought is more than twice as long as the next-longest active streak, four years for the Detroit Red Wings. That lack of success has clearly started to affect Eichel.

“I’m a competitor,” he said. “I want to win every time I go out on the ice. I want to win the Stanley Cup every time I start a season . . . I’d be lying if I said that I’m not getting frustrated with where things are going.”

Eichel, however, also believes the team made progress this season despite finishing with a 30-31-8 record. It was the franchise’s seventh consecutive losing season.

“I think we took a step this year,” he said. “I will say it’s been a pleasure working with (Sabres coach) Ralph (Krueger) and he does so much for our group every day. There are tough times and he does an amazing job of bringing us back in and narrowing our focus and getting us back to where we need to be mentally. The few times I’ve spoken with him during this (COVID-19) quarantine, it’s been good. But yeah, I’m definitely not in the greatest place with where the last little bit went and it’s definitely worn on me.”

While the NHL — minus the Sabres and six other teams — moves ahead with a 24-team modified playoff format, Eichel says he has already started getting ready for next season, which he’s hoping isn’t another lost one in Buffalo.

Source: Read Full Article

Ex-Sao Paulo star Donizete sold Club World Cup medal amid drug issues

‘I sold my Club World Cup medal to buy cocaine… I used it in two days’: Former Sao Paulo defender Flavio Donizete reveals extent of his tragic drug addiction that saw him let his most prized possession go

  • Former Sao Paulo star Flavio Donizete has revealed his tragic drug addiction past
  • He won a Club World Cup medal against Liverpool with the Brazil side in 2005 
  • But he later sold it to fund his cocaine habit and used the drugs in two days
  • He said his addiction ‘destroyed’ him as it took its toll on his promising career 

Former Sao Paolo star Flavio Donizete has shed a light on his struggles with drug addiction that blighted his promising career – admitting he sold his Club World Cup medal to fund the habit. 

The Brazilian, who played as a defender, had come through the ranks at Sao Paolo as a teenager in 2005 when the league winners took on Champions League kings Liverpool in Japan, beating them 1-0 through midfielder Mineiro. 

Donizete only made the bench through injury to a team-mate, but did not feature as his side lifted the trophy – although he was awarded the medal in what would become the crowning achievement of his career. 

Sao Paolo celebrate winning the Club World Cup after beating Liverpool in Japan in 2005

But speaking to Globoesporte, he spoke of his crippling cocaine addiction that put the brakes on his progress as a footballer – revealing he cashed in on his medal for nearly £3,000, spending nearly all of it on the drugs and using it in two days.  

‘I sold it to buy drugs,’ he said. ‘I sold it for 7,000 reais (around £2,875/$3,500).

‘When I sold it the money came and I blew almost all of it on cocaine. The first delivery was 1,000 reais of cocaine. I used it in two days. The more money I had, the more drugs I wanted.

‘After I was acquainted with cocaine, I lost everything else. Because at the start I was a moderate user. Until cocaine became more important in my life, I started to lose everything I had. Any money saved I used to buy drugs. I wouldn’t let myself be without drugs. Morning, afternoon and evening I had to take cocaine.

‘Any money in my account, my possessions, I started losing them. I lost everything, except my wife, daughters and family, who are still with me even today.’ 

Following a handful of unsuccessful loan spells at local sides Portuguesa, America and Nacional, he was released from his Sao Paolo contract in 2009.

Flavio Donizete sold his Club World Cup medal to fund his cocaine habit as his career dwindled

But as he sought a new club, he turned to drugs and partying. He said there were times when he took cocaine every day and eventually gained weight and later picked up a knee injury. After that latest setback he began to lose his motivation for playing the sport he once loved. 

‘[My friends] would say to me, “snort!”. I would snort and at that moment the effects of drinking would wear off. 

‘Every day I went out I would say, “today I can drink as late as I want because when I use cocaine the effect wears off. Let’s go find some”.

‘I was never at home, it was just parties and drinking. There were times I wouldn’t go a single day without taking cocaine.

‘I started to get fat through the drink, I picked up a knee injury and I couldn’t run. All that as well as the coke. So I said, “that’s it”. I gave up football for good.’

The former centre back is now 36 and has since shaken off his drug habit and in major signs he is turning his life around, he recently returned to the game with stints at Taboão da Serra and Portuguesa. 

He is also working as a gardener in Sao Paolo as he reflects on how his career dwindled after becoming a world champion, and says if he could turn back time he would never have used cocaine. 

‘My biggest regret is having tried cocaine. It destroyed me.’




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article

Wasps and Gloucester warn stars that 25 per cent pay cuts will go on

Premiership player exodus feared with Wasps and Gloucester among clubs to warn stars that 25% pay cuts will continue for ‘foreseeable future’

  • It is understood that Wasps have informed squad that cuts will be permanent
  • Stars at Gloucester and other clubs were warned reductions are likely to extend
  • Clubs in the top division face a bleak financial outlook as a result of lockdown 
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

Gloucester and Wasps are among a host of Premiership clubs who have informed players that their pay cuts will continue for the ‘foreseeable future’, prompting fears of an exodus from the league.

As first reported by Sportsmail on May 1, clubs in the top division – facing a bleak financial outlook as a result of the current shut-down – have been in talks for weeks about turning the emergency 25 per cent salary reductions into a long-term policy; the so-called ‘new normal’. 

It is understood that they had agreed to collectively implement the plan, in an attempt to avert the threat of players leaving in droves, but that appears to be an increasing possibility.

Wasps and Gloucester have informed players that their pay cuts will continue in the future

It is understood that Wasps have informed staff and players that cuts will become permanent 

Squads are expected to resume training this week against a backdrop of unrest. The pay cuts are regarded as a breach of contract, which would allow players to move on whenever they wish. With the vast majority of the Premiership united in a pledge not to poach from each other, there are already rumours about defections to Japan, where there is financial stability and high wages.

Multiple sources indicated on Tuesday night that Wasps have informed staff and players that the cuts will become permanent, while players at Gloucester and other clubs have already been warned that reductions are likely to extend for the duration of current contracts. 

In March, Sportsmail reported that players at certain clubs were openly discussing the option of taking strike action if their full pay was not reinstated when training started again, so that scenario could come to a head soon.

Premiership outfit Wasps are struggling to cope with huge debts at the moment

Officials from Premiership Rugby and the players’ union, the RPA, are due to hold a conference cal on Wednesday to thrash out the exact details of how clubs can start preparing together for a return to action, with players training in small groups.

Sale appeared to jump the gun by reconvening at their Carrington base on Monday, before being given the all-clear to do so, in line with a league-wide agreement, but it is understood that the Cheshire club abandoned their activities on Tuesday, after pressure was applied. They will now wait for permission to proceed.

Meanwhile, club officials are on Wednesday due to discuss the myriad recommendations in the Myners report about an overhaul of the salary cap. There is not expected to be a decision yet about whether to implement the proposals, but sources have claimed that the vast majority of clubs are ready to vote in favour of the changes, in the aftermath of Saracens being found guilty of past cap breaches and condemned to relegation.




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article

Dortmund star Erling Haaland reveals what he looks for in a club

‘Timing is everything… how good you are, how good the club is’: Erling Haaland reveals what he looks for in a club following fantastic start at Dortmund after Manchester United move fell through

  • Former Man United target Erling Haaland has revealed his transfer strategy
  • The Red Devils refused to pay agent Mino Raiola and father Alf Inge Haaland
  • Borussia Dortmund agreed to pay RB Salzburg £18m to sign the striker in January
  • The 19-year-old believes ‘timing is everything’ when contemplating a transfer 

Borussia Dortmund star and former Manchester United transfer target Erling Haaland has revealed what he looks for in a club when weighing up a move.

Manchester United pulled out of a deal to sign the forward in January after refusing to give agent Mino Raiola and father Alf Inge Haaland a significant share of his future transfer value. 

The Norwegian has subsequently scored 12 goals in 11 matches, adding to the 28 goals registered at Red Bull Salzburg in the first half of the season. 

Erling Haaland has revealed what he looks for when considering a move to a new club

Appearances: 33

Goals: 40

Assists: 9

Now the 19-year-old given a fascinating insight into what goes through his mind as a transfer window approaches, naming former Norway under-21s coach Tor Ole Skullerud as a major influence.

‘It’s what Tor Ole is saying that for me timing is everything.’ Haaland told Eurosport.

‘You’ve got to time how good you are, how good the club is, the people there, how they take care of you, how they help you evolve.’ 

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer coached Haaland at Molde and tried to sign him in January

‘There is a lot of factors and I remember when we discussed Salzburg and different clubs we figured out very early that Salzburg was the best option.’ 

‘And I’ve always thought “I can’t overrate myself.” That has always been important to me, saying “yes, I’m good, but there’s a lot of good players out there,” so that has always been very important to me, to not think that I’m better than I actually am.’

Dortmund completed the £18million signing of Haaland in December, agreeing to pay the teenager £130,000 a week. 



Share this article


Source: Read Full Article