Paula Badosa has become the first player entered for next month’s Australian Open to confirm a positive coronavirus test while in quarantine in Melbourne, with the Spaniard saying that she had symptoms.
Badosa, 23, arrived in Melbourne after playing in Abu Dhabi earlier this month and was on her seventh day in quarantine when she said her test came back positive.
The 23-year-old, ranked 67, is the first player to be named as an active case a week after more than 1,000 people connected to the Australian Open began to arrive in the country.
- Shriver: Hard quarantine worth it to give sense of normality
- Judy Murray: London 2012 made me feel like I didn’t matter
- ‘Osaka a wonderful inspiration in women’s tennis’
In a social media post, Badosa wrote: “I have some bad news. Today I received a positive Covid-19 test result. I’m feeling unwell and have some symptoms, but I’ll try to recover as soon as possible listening to the doctors.
“I’ve been taken to a health hotel to self isolate and be monitored. Thanks for your support. We’ll be back stronger.”
On Wednesday, local officials reported that a total of 10 people who travelled to Australia for the tournament had tested positive, but some of those were likely to be viral shedding, where someone who has previously had the virus
still has it in their system but is no longer contagious.
Bernardes recovering from reported heart attack
Tennis umpire Carlos Bernardes was recovering well after being admitted to hospital while in quarantine in Melbourne.
The ATP Tour said Bernardes’ illness was not related to coronavirus while local media outlets reported the Brazilian umpire had suffered a heart attack.
“Following admittance to hospital (non-COVID related) on Wednesday in Melbourne, we are pleased to report that ATP Umpire Carlos Bernardes is recovering well,” the Tour said on Twitter.
Following admittance to hospital (non-Covid related) on Wednesday in Melbourne, we are pleased to report that ATP Umpire Carlos Bernardes is recovering well.
Carlos passes on his gratitude for all the well wishes he's received, and we wish him all the best for a full recovery. pic.twitter.com/UF9f0aweIZ
“Carlos passes on his gratitude for all the well wishes he’s received, and we wish him all the best for a full recovery.”
An ATP Tour official since 1990, Bernardes took charge of the 2006 and 2008 US Open men’s finals as well as the 2011 Wimbledon men’s title decider.
As many as 72 players are confined to their hotel rooms for 14 days and unable to train for the Australian Open after passengers on three charter flights to Melbourne returned positive tests for COVID-19.
- Download the Sky Sports Scores App: Apple | Android
- The UK’s No 1 scores app: Find out more
Other players who arrived on different flights are also isolating but are permitted to leave their hotel rooms for five hours a day to train.
The strict protocols have taken a toll on several frustrated players who have complained in recent days but South Africa’s Kevin Anderson has appealed to them to show more respect for the local community’s fight against the pandemic.
Don’t forget to follow us on skysports.com/tennis, our Twitter account @skysportstennis & Sky Sports – on the go! Available to download now on – iPhone & iPad and Android.
Source: Read Full Article