Raducanu pulls out of Australian Open warm-up event in Melbourne

Emma Raducanu pulls out of Australian Open warm-up event in Melbourne as she recovers from Covid-19 as teenager is made an MBE in New Year Honours List following extraordinary US Open triumph

  • Emma Raducanu contracted Covid-19 when in Abu Dhabi last month
  • The US open winner, 19, withdrew from exhibition event after getting virus
  • She has now pulled out of Melbourne Summer Set ahead of Australian Open
  • Raducanu said event had come too soon as she recovers from the virus
  • She is set to take part in her first Australian Open when it starts on January 17 

Emma Raducanu has withdrawn from this week’s Australian Open warm-up tournament in Melbourne as she continues to recover from coronavirus.

The US Open champion had been due to play in the Melbourne Summer Set as part of her preparations for her debut in the grand slam event.

But the 19-year-old, who withdrew from an exhibition in Abu Dhabi last month after contracting the virus, said the first warm-up event had come too soon.

Emma Raducanu has withdrawn from a warm-up event for the Australian Open in Melbourne

The US Open winner was due to compete in the Melbourne Summer Set event 

Raducanu told organisers: ‘The timing to compete in the first Melbourne event this week is too soon for me, having just returned from isolation.’

Raducanu received the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award whilst in isolation before Christmas, and was made an MBE in the New Year Honours List.

Raducanu withdrew with the Mubadala Classic exhibition event in the United Arab Emirates after testing positive last month. She was fully vaccinated against the virus.

It scuppered plans for her to attend the BBC Sports Personality the Year award as she had to complete 10 days of isolation.

The 19-year-old Raducanu has received an MBE for her astonishing win at the US Open

Raducanu accepted her BBC Sports Personality of the Year award via video link from isolation

‘I was very much looking forward to playing in front of the fans here in Abu Dhabi, but unfortunately after testing positive for COVID-19, I will have to postpone until the next opportunity,’ said the 19 year-old from Kent, who had only mild symptoms. 

‘I’m isolating as per rules and hopefully will be able to get back on court soon.’  

Raducanu then flew to Melbourne after completing her isolation and had been on the practice courts ahead of the Summer Set before deciding to withdraw. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article