Tennis fans successful in the Wimbledon ticket ballot will have to wait another YEAR to attend, as organisers cancel the iconic queue and BAN resales at the All-England Club this summer
- Wimbledon’s iconic queue system won’t operate at the tournament this summer
- Officials will distribute tickets differently with Covid set to impact attendance
- The tradition will make a swift return for the 2022 edition, organisers insisted
- Wimbledon is bugeting for a capacity of around 30 per cent ahead of June start
Those successful in the Wimbledon ticket ballot have been told that their allocation will have to be deferred for another twelve months after the cancellation of the Championships last year.
In an update this morning the All England Club announced that crowd numbers are yet to be decided for the tournament, and that purchases for 2021 can be made online in June, with the event due to start on June 28.
Wimbledon has been broadly budgeting on a capacity of around 30 per cent but it will wait until nearer the time to see how the pandemic has progressed, and what the government advice is at that point.
Wimbledon fans will not be able to take part in the tournament’s iconic queue this summer
Organisers are preparing for a reduced amount of fans with Covid likely to impact attendance
However, it seems that those who do get tickets will not be restricted in their movements at the tournament. At the Australian Open last month there were three zones which fans had to stick to, but the hope is that this will not be necessary.
‘We want to ensure that we can leave decisions on public capacity as late as we can in order to welcome the maximum number of guests, and manage our ticket distribution accordingly,’ read the statement.
As predicted there will be no queue this year, although it is hoped to bring that back for 2022.
Ticket resales will also be banned with Wimbledon budgeting for a 30 per cent capacity
It will be a very different tournament this year, with players required to stay in official hotels
There was confirmation of Sportsmail’s report last week that players will need to stay in designated hotels, rather than private houses, as is now common for so many.
‘Based on current guidance, there will be official hotels for all players, their support teams, and key groups such as officials, which will be a mandatory requirement for entry into and participation in this year’s Championships.’
Ian Hewitt, AELTC Chairman, said: ‘These remain challenging and uncertain times, and our thoughts continue to be with all those affected by the pandemic.
‘Although the promise of a return to a more normal existence is on the horizon, we are not there yet. As such, we have taken some key decisions in order to provide us with some certainty in our planning, and yet also to retain flexibility where we need it the most.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article